Magento discount codes are among the most efficient ways to engage more customers to make purchases in your Magento 2 store. What better way to boost your sales than give your customers extra attention in the form of discounts or special offers?
In this blog post, we’ve explained how to create coupon codes in Magento 2 stores. Magento 2 allows you to create coupon codes for individual customers, various customer groups, specific products, or the whole catalog under certain conditions. So, let’s figure out how to create Magento discount code.
How to Create Magento Coupon Codes?
Here’s a list of steps you need to follow.
- Go to Marketing – Promotions – Cart Price Rule – Add New Rule.
- Write the Name for the Rule.
- Add a Description.
- Activate the Rule.
- Choose the Website coupon code that will be active.
- Choose Customer Groups, a category at which the coupon will be aimed.
- Choose a Specific Coupon and create a Coupon Code.
- Set the Uses per Coupon. This characteristic defines how many times a coupon code may be used. If you don’t have a limit, omit this step.
- Set Uses per Customers. This characteristic defines how many times the same registered customer may use a coupon code. If there’s no limit, omit this step. Note that this setting doesn’t apply to guest customers.
- Specify the time during which the coupon will be valid by entering the information in the From and To Date.
- Set the Priority. With this setting, only that coupon code with the highest priority will be applied when a few coupon codes match the conditions.
- Select whether to make it Public in RSS Feed.
- Choose the Conditions that include the state of the shopping cart that customers have to meet in order to use the coupon code.
- Configure Actions.
Managing Actions take a few steps:
- Set how to Apply the coupon code. It can be either percent of the product discount, a fixed sum, etc.
- Enter the Discount Amount
- Set the Maximum Qty Discount is Applied To. This setting defines the maximum amount of the same product the customer has to buy to get the discount.
- If you choose the Buy X get Y (discount amount is Y) discount, enter the Discount Qty Step (Buy X)
- Decide whether to apply the coupon code to the Shipping Amount. This will allow you to define if the discount will apply only to the price of the products or to the subtotal, including shipping rates.
Note: if you need help with setting up your shipping methods, check out our article: Magento 2 Shipping Methods and How to Set Them Up
- By applying Discard Subsequent Rules, you’ll eliminate the possibility of using multiple discount codes.
- Set the additional Conditions in order to set the coupon code under.
- Choose whether you want to add the discount code to Free Shipping and how you want to apply it.
Once you are all done with all the settings, don’t forget to save the configuration and check how it is displayed on the storefront. Go to your store and add the products to the cart in order to see whether the coupon is displayed.
Usually, coupon codes are created specifically for special occasions, like holidays. However, if your coupons aren’t related to a special occasion, you can generate coupon codes automatically without being specific in the text of your coupon code.
How To Create Multiple Coupon Codes in Magento?
When you create an automatically generated coupon code in Magento, you also need to configure the conditions, discounts amount, and other factors that were described above. However, the difference is that you choose the Use Auto-Generation feature, meaning that you won’t enter the custom coupon code this time.
Let’s do it together:
- Go to Manage Coupon Codes
- Enter Coupon Qty, pointing out how many coupon codes will be generated.
- Set Code Length, pointing out the total number of characters in the coupon code
- Choose the Code Format
- Enter the Code Suffix and Prefix
- State the Dash Every X Character and press the Generate button.
Since coupons are generated by the cron and added to the line, it may take some time in order to generate them, especially if there’s a large number of coupons to be generated. Don’t forget to Save them while you wait for them to be generated.
Need help setting up your Magento 2 store?
Our team has years of experience and can help you with full setup of your store or with specific parts of it. We are only one email away.
How to Apply Coupon Codes?
One more thing you need to do is to decide how the customers can use the coupons and benefit from the discounts. The simplest and most convenient way is to provide them with an option to apply the coupons. Don’t make them go the extra mile and perform additional steps like copying, pasting, entering codes manually, etc.
Benefits of Using Coupons
Now that you are all set up with creating your Magento promo code, let’s talk about how its usage can benefit your store. Here are only a few examples of the pros of using coupons in your eCommerce store:
- Increased traffic to your online store. According to the research conducted by Retail Me Not, 85% of UK consumers are looking for some sort of discount or coupons before visiting a store or making a purchase online. If you promote your coupons on social media or through different email campaigns, it will increase your traffic rates. Lots of people tend to check out sales and discounts by various brands even if they initially didn’t plan on buying staff there.
- Increased customer loyalty. Coupon codes increase the chances that both new and returning customers will keep coming back to your store, whether to check out the new products or new discounts.
- Additional metrics & analytics. Tracking data on the coupons allows you to get additional insights about your customers and their shopping habits. You can later use that information to optimize your marketing strategies.
- Increased conversions. Customers tend to make unplanned purchases when there’s a discount, sale, or special prize that won’t be there in a day or two. Coupons often act like a sales magnet and psychologically affect buying decisions.
And that’s it. Now you know how to create discount codes Magento 2. Creating coupon codes doesn’t take a lot of time when it comes to setting up a Magento 2 store and is a perfect way to engage more customers and increase your conversion rates.
Magento 2 offers extended opportunities for the customization of your store and allows you to create a tailored solution for your business. The only thing that you need to do is to benefit wisely from Magento 2’s many features and functionality. If you want to get the best out of this platform, contact us, and our team will help you set up the store according to your needs and requirements.